We spend a great deal of time discussing the best online schools or how to select one, but it is equally important to talk about how you can be a successful online student. What are some of the characteristics of someone who hopes to be successful:
- Perseverance. Are you the type of person who finishes what they start? If given a task, do you work toward completion? The non-completion rate for online courses is not insignificant.
- Reading ability. While online courses can be good for people who need extra time with working through a course, there can be challenges if the student’s reading level is far below “grade level.” Note that I do not say that you cannot do this, but it will be a challenge.
- Attendance. You might be surprised that I would talk about attendance with regard to online courses. Remember, though, that online courses are like any other course. You need to show up on school days.
- Adaptability. Going to school online is very different than a face-to-face classroom. You need to be open to learning in this very different environment.
- Have the ability to ask questions. In an online environment, sometimes it is difficult for your online teacher to know if you are struggling with the work or if you do not understand a concept. You need to be the person that sends the email or opens the chat window.
You absolutely can be successful if you don’t meet every single one of these success criteria. In my opinion, hard work can overcome almost anything. However, if you are not willing to work hard to achieve your goals, then an online course will be a challenge for you to complete.